Our History

Before the building of Pine Valley and Valleywood this area was farmland, forests and occasional single homes or estates. Interstate 83 did not exist and Timonium Road was just two lanes that did not continue all the way to Dulaney Valley Road. There were no townhomes, patio homes or large shopping centers and the concept of Mays Chapel had not been born . Timonium Fairgrounds did exist, but on a more limited basis.

Harvey Meyerhoff,president of the Joseph Meyerhoff Company, formed the Pine Valley Construction Company and started building the first section of Pine Valley in 1958. They offered three different home models that were priced from $14,000. - $16,000. Pine Valley West was started in 1962 and the Meyerhoff Company and other builders, including Lynch Construction, Inc. and Pine Construction, Inc. offered models that were priced starting at $17,500. depending upon the lot size and location and any options that were chosen by the buyers.

George Strutt and Preston Poole of Strutt and Poole started construction of Valleywood in 1961. They also offered three different models , but the homes and lots were larger and the increased beginning price of $25,900. reflected the differences. Strutt and Poole boasted of being one of the first new home communities that allowed the towering trees to remain.

The two community associations merged in 1966 to form our current Pine Valley-Valleywood Community Association, Inc. The Association, under the leadership of the elected Board of Governors, represents the community as a single voice in local, county and state affairs and takes whatever action is deemed necessary to protect the property value and general welfare of the community and the residents. The Association is very active in promoting community activities that involve both the children and the adults. A quarterly newsletter, The Pine Log, and a Community Directory of residents is published and distributed by the Association.



×